Monday, June 25, 2007

Times Change

I haven't posted forever. My life has made so many turns in the last few years that I can't even list them all. I surprised myself though, and bought a restaurant. What a change this has been for my life, good and bad.. though the bad isn't bad. It's simply a big change and the only downside is the time it consumes. I would never have guessed. I've managed restaurants before, and busy ones at that, but being an owner is... well, just plain busy.

I love the place, it's a diner with a fantastic menu and a great atmosphere. I bought into a franchise, and the location I bought has been in business for about 5 years so it had a good customer base and I really didn't have to worry like others do who start their own place.

I find myself working about 90 hours a week, which is too much. And my off time is usually spent running errands, doing paperwork, or other busy work for my diner. On occasion, I sleep. When I first bought the place I looked at accounting options for my payroll and taxes... I have one word for this, "robbery." Just to have someone do my payroll -for 5 employees- it was well over $300. For other accounting, taxes, etc, it just added to the cost. So I do my own payroll, taxes, accounting, daily paperwork, and whatever else comes up. It takes up so much of my time, sometimes I wonder if I'm just to damn stubborn and should have just paid the money.... But really, It's just to much! Hence, Quickbooks is now my new best friend.

I've been at this now since January and I hope things get better for my time management. It's looking up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home